Monday 31 January 2011

Make then make again

After the pump cylinder comes the tricky bits - the valve chamber, on the right and the air chamber on the left.

The valve chamber went pretty much to plan although I might need to make an elbow connector for the bottom rather than this straight one as space is pretty limited.

The air chamber was a different kettle of fish: I made the body from a solid piece of brass, turning the lip then doing the top using a file by eye (in the lathe) all nice and easy. The threaded piece of hex to be silver soldered in the bottom wouldn't play ball though, I made it twice and had to solder/desolder three times to get it properly lined up but it came out right in the end. The original drawing shows a threaded cap for this part and no means to properly tighten it into the valve chamber which is why I went for solid+hex. The bottom of the 'can' is slightly chamfered towards this 'nut', I decided this would look better than using a larger piece of hex (i.e. wider than the can) which I didn't have in brass anyway :)

All that remains it to cut a notch in the bottom of the threaded bit then solder the vlave chamber to the cylinder... think I might test the pumping action somehow before I commit to that though :D

Here's a blurry shot of the two parts screwed together resting on the cylinder.

1 comment:

  1. Grrrrr8! That will be a mighty fine pump once the packing etc goes in.

    ReplyDelete