Wednesday 23 February 2011

Yoke 2

Here's the next couple of operations completed (well almost). Soldered the two parts together then back to the lathe for drilling/reaming the 'bore'. Still not having bought a DTI this would have been tricky to get right... fortunately, and for a change, I thought ahead when it was in the lathe first time round i.e. I made a suitable hole with a centre drill. I could then use a sharp 'live centre' to relocate the part accurately enough second time round. Professionals will probably cringe in horror but it seemed to work for me - needs must when the devil drives.

Once that was done it was time to cut the vertical slot for the follower. I wanted to use a 3mm rod to connect the wheel to the follower but I don't have a 3mm slot drill. Choices were 2.5mm slot drill followed by careful filing or maybe using a 4mm ball nose mill (that I picked up cheap at a show last year :D ) and making the rod thicker in the middle (or allowing 1/2mm slop either side). In the end I went for the slot drill. Didn't have time to attend to the filing today but here's the part as it stands with a piece of rod taking the place of the follower and a couple of bits of studding showing where the threaded rods will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment