Friday 4 February 2011

Cylinder cover #1

Not a great deal to show for the last two short workshop sessions, just the cylinder cover shown here screwed in place. It just needs the holes for bolting down to the cylinder.


As I don't have a 3mm reamer (my nearest being a very odd 3.3mm) I made a new D-bit to ensure a nice accurate hole... there's something very satisfying about making these simple tools and getting a good final hole just as there is when grinding HSS tools for the lathe and getting a good finish. Or maybe it's just me! I took care to get the hardening and tempering right on this D-bit too, some of my previous attempts have got a little chewed up after 3 or 4 uses so obviously weren't properly hardened.


As the first picture is pretty boring, here's another version spiced up with some fine ales to look at instead :D

No comments:

Post a Comment